Saturday, April 18, 2009

What a hug can do.

My mom was not a hugger until she had her first grandchild. Those grandchildren got so much affection from her. I didn't even think to be jealous because I knew she loved us. She just didn't hug us. Later the grandchildren became non huggers. And I've always been uncomfortable at it.

Well, lately Joanna has been having some meltdowns. The other day she was in hysterics because she didn't want to go to school. As usual, I went about it the wrong way and got angry with her. She was hysterical! She had her head back and was wobbling about to drop herself. I finally took her in my arms and hugged her. She IMMEDIATELY calmed down. I was amazed. A hug.

Today for the first time I let her go outside with the other girls without us out there too. A little girl came asking if she could play. It was hard but we said Ok. Of course I opened the blinds!! :)

She came running in crying like crazy. Apparently a little girl elbowed her in the mouth by accident but Joanna was hurting. After getting the story out of her between gasps, I hugged her. She calmed down. It felt so beautiful that a hug from me could do that. It made me teary. I love her so much and I try to break out of what I am used to. I thank God everyday for her. And if I could, I'd hug him.

No comments: